Sunday 29 September 2013

Teaching Writing Using Stations

One thing I have learned through this process is to let go...

Before this journey, my children were always being told what to write and in what format.  My language block was very structured:  Read Aloud (to do with a writing form or reading comprehension strategy), Shared Reading (often an example of the writing form or good for the reading comprehension strategy), Independent Reading & Guided Reading (often in writing form being studied or the comprehension skill being utilized), Writing Mini-Lesson, Independent Writing & Guided Writing. And I did this everyday.. constantly watching the clock to make sure that things began and ended on time.

This year, I continue to explicitly teach reading and writing strategies with daily mini lessons.  The change is that the follow-up activity is presented differently.  I have learned to let go of the control.  I now allow for my students to explore reading and writing at our literacy stations (they choose what station to go to) and allow them to decide on what to write and read.  Do I still give them specific writing tasks?  Yes, but not everyday.  I pick maybe 2 specific writing tasks that I want done each week and the whole group works on them for 2 of the writing blocks.  The other 3 writing blocks are devoted for children exploring literacy stations (after we have had a read aloud, shared reading, independent reading and guided reading).  As students work at the literacy stations, I call small groups of children to work on individual needs as writers (i.e. printing, spelling, stretching out words, editing).

What I have found is that the majority of my students will choose to go to the writing station during this time.  Students will pull up chairs, spill out to other tables or take a clipboard and sit on the carpet to write.  They beg me for time to write in their books!  They collaborate on works and share their ideas with friends.  They help one another stretch out words, find them on charts and use our spelling resource book.  I even hear complaints when I say... time to tidy up for recess!  A few even beg to stay inside and continue.  My students are engaged, excited and learning...  their creativity is being honoured.

If all of your student writing is coming from you, I ask you to consider "why?"  I have learned to say to myself... "Do the kids need to always do paper-pencil work?"  "Do they need to always complete 4 pieces of writing a week (most of which is directed by me)?"  "How many samples of writing do I need to get before I am satisfied that they are learning, growing and meeting expectations?"  "What is it that I want to teach these children?"  

My conclusion has been that my students are constantly working, revising and editing their writing.  They are getting descriptive feedback from me as we work together during that time to improve writing skills.  They are also getting feedback from their peers as they share their works with one another.   Most importantly, I feel that what I am doing is developmentally appropriate for Grade One children.  The children are allowed to do what children do best- explore, discover, create and share.


Sharks and 5 Little Fish on PhotoPeach >


This is... on PhotoPeach

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Wonder, Explore & Discover in Grade One Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template