Sunday 26 May 2013

THE CREATION STATION!

Things really started to change as I examined the Reggio Emilia approach and read from the "Capacity Building Series." What resonated with me was the focus on the child.  The child is at the centre, our children are the heart of the program.  The child's learning is what is important... Their thinking... Their process.  Children should be involved in the decision making in the classroom, their ideas should be given time in our day, their creativity should be honoured.  This is not a new thought for me...  Of course I have always valued these things, but looking deeply into the Reggio practices made me see that I could do this in a different way that may be more meaningful to the children.  I started to allow my students the freedom to create pieces of art that were their vision, not mine.  I have grown in that I no longer expect the same kind of art project to be done... You know which ones...the works where each one looks exactly the same, using the same colours, the same materials etc...  Reggio made me realize that I was not honouring the creativity of my students.  By creating our "creation station",  putting out most of the art supplies from the storage closet, something changed for my students.  They had freedom to be creative!  They became excited to use different materials.  As a class we may decide what kind of art project we would like to do, but the individual decides how to do it.  Here are a few samples to show you from our Living Things Inquiry:

The Creation Station & Art supplies on shelf

A Hermit Crab
A Hermit Crab
A Venus Fly Trap
A Venus Fly Trap
A Chick
A Chick
A Black Chick (represents one that hatched)
A Hermit Crab
A Hermit Crab
Butterflies and Caterpillars
A Venus Fly Trap (used a paper cup- see the bug eyes!)
A Chick (beak opens up to say "Cheep")
I love that each child created a living thing using different materials from their friends.   I love that each child's vision was their own and that they CHOSE!  Every child was valued...They inspired one another, gave each other ideas and praised one another for their Amazing work!  Aha moment!




1 comments:

  1. What an incredible journey you have had! I am trying to follow your example and introduce more inquiry into my classroom. They truly enjoy being their own 'teachers'. Continue your great work!

    ReplyDelete

 

Wonder, Explore & Discover in Grade One Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template